Thursday, February 12, 2015

Fiber Arts of Carol Ochs

Welcome!

I'm starting separate blogs for each of my craft endeavors, so followers have the option to follow *just* that craft if they wish!  :) (My *other* crafts being soapmaking, fantasy art, etc. You can find links to those on the sidebar.)
_______________________________________________________________

This is my spinning wheel.  I know most name their wheels, but I have yet to do so.  Haven't *felt* the right name yet.  Suggestions?  ;)  It's a Kromski Symphony and I got it over a year ago.  

I always knew that when I got a wheel, it would be a fairytale style wheel, because that's the way I swing...easily enchanted, Rumplestiltskin one of my favorite fairytales.....still!  heh heh  That aside, it spins like a dream...I LOVE it!  I even assembled the whole thing by myself....which in my opinion, is actually a great exercise in learning (if you're new to spinning)  how each wheel part functions.  It was not difficult at all, so don't be intimidated if you are faced with the same.  If you order a wheel online, chances are it will require assembly.
I also happen to be of Polish decent, and from a long-line of woodcrafters, so a wheel made in The Homeland appealed to me, honoring my heritage!  


One of my favorite places to spin is on my back patio.  I live in San Diego so I enjoy nice weather pretty much year-round.  Many choose a wheel based on it's portability and ease-of-taking while traveling (to classes, spin groups, etc.), but I knew I'd mainly be using mine at home where I work, so that was not part of my choosing.  


I tend to favor bulkier yarns.  Here is some freshly spun merino wool, soaked, twist set, drying in our California sunshine, hanging off my lemon tree.  
TIP: If I'm using fiber that still has a sheepy smell to it, I use lemon juice and a few drops of anise essential oil in the rinse to eliminate the smell.  Anise oil is used by hunters and fishermen to hide human scent!  :)


Any finished items I make, I put up for sale at my Etsy Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CarolOchs

I welcome you to follow-along with my fiber adventures! 

~Carol 
The Imaginative Arts of Carol Ochs
Includes:


No comments:

Post a Comment